Friday, December 17, 2010

the BIG yet, EASY decision

About eight weeks before graduation I was contemplating going abroad again. I had just finished a fulfilling internship with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and for months I saw a future working in the  headquarters in D.C. But, truly I knew that it wasn't for me, (at least at this age, with this much curiosity and drive) sitting in a cubical and work long hours in a stuffy building. What I really wanted was a job opportunity that allowed me to: 1) Travel 2) Help people in some way 3) Allow me to continue speaking Spanish. I didn't know what job title that was specifically, but I knew it had to at least fulfill those three things.
After much research on the internet, and applying for corporate jobs all over the U.S and getting no response due to the spiraling economy- I decided the best thing for me was to go abroad again. I made the big yet, easy decision to move to Costa Rica and enroll in TEFL International. This all came as a shock to my family and friends, as I had been so adamant about moving to D.C to work for the U.S.D.A for months (Not to mention, I still had a few surprises up my sleeve).
                                      
                                ~Fast Forward to College Graduation~
Graduation was an incredible milestone in my life and was nearly a party that lasted a month. Family from Texas, New Mexico and all over California came to celebrate; it was a weekend full of moments that I will never forget. I spent time with my oldest college friends and really soaked up the special occasion during the whole extravaganza.
Graduation is also when my entire family: Grandmothers, Aunts, Sisters, Cousins, Parents and friends all got to meet my boyfriend Daniel. Daniel had remained on the "hush hush" until then, as I was unsure where our relationship was leading; After all, we had just started dating. During graduation weekend I told my family that not only was I selling everything to my name and moving to Costa Rica to teach English; but so was Daniel. What began as weekend motorcycle rides down Hwy 1 and going Salsa dancing quickly evolved into big plans and future dreams together.

                             ~TEFL Intl. Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica~
Teach English as Foreign Language (TEFL) is an internationally known and accredited institution that provides native English speakers with the education necessary to become a Certified English Teacher. Through TEFL Intl. students can attend courses in over 30 different countries around the world, take courses in the U.S. or even online. Once the TEFL course is completed, the certification opens doors to teaching jobs in more than 100 countries around the world. Daniel and I opted for the course in Costa Rica for mainly two reasons; it was among the more affordable countries to study in and it's COSTA RICA!!
My one-way ticket to Costa Rica was Mom's gift to me for graduation. I've chosen to take this as, "my mom has so much confidence, faith in my success and decisions that she can buy me a one-way ticket out of the country"... and not in the way that she wants me to get the hell out of California. Either way, I got there and the Costa Rican Adventure began.
I quickly learned that nearly all the other students of TEFL had return flights home, and this was seen as a positive way to spend the summer. However, for Daniel and I we had no return ticket- we had to succeed. We had to find teaching jobs right after graduation and make it in Costa Rica- preferably before our money ran out.

No comments:

Post a Comment