Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mallory Studies Abroad and Catches the TRAVEL BUG

Hello. I'm Mallory and I'm so happy to begin blogging about my travels abroad and adventures teaching English in foreign countries. Before I tell you what's next, I feel that I should provide you will a little background of who I am and how I have arrived here today.
This all began about 3 years ago when I moved to Madrid, Spain at 20 years old to participate in a study abroad program during my 3rd year of college. This was a dream of  mine for many years and I was so full of life and excitement for this adventure when I knew it really happening.
At  the age of 20 my decision to move abroad, must have confused or shocked many people. I was constantly asked if I was scared; if I was going with a friend; if I knew people already in Spain and to all their answers it was simply, "No, I'm going alone." I had never felt more confident and assure of myself ever. I was very positive and 100% ecstatic that my dream was coming true.At the time I thought going to Spain for a year was huge, a once in a life time experience, and it was. But, at many different times during my year in Europe, I had deep feelings in my gut and heart that this was Just the Beginning. My year in Spain was filled of highs and lows, as are many long-term experiences in foreign countries (I'll fill you in on the details in posts to come), but through it all it opened me eyes to another world.
It's hard to put into words what the year in Spain did for me, how it affected me, what I learned and the life long lessons that I got from it. When I returned home, family and friends all asked, "How was it?" Over and over again I said, "It was the best year of my life, there are no words to explain the experience." It is still true to this day, as I sit here nearly 3.5 years later trying to put it into words- and I can't. I am thankful however, that I did keep a journal and wrote in it religiously everyday. I wrote about the people that I met, the new food I ate, where I went and how I was feeling towards the cultural differences (all the aspects of living abroad that I hope to fill you in on with this blog).
In Spain I saw the need for English Lessons, seeing how I wasn't certified to give classes or be employed by an agency... I tutored kids ranging from 3-13 years old with their homework, or practice worksheets that I printed off the internet. I posted an advertisement online similar to Craigslist called, Segundo Mano. The ad was sort, simple and direct; within 3 days my schedule was full. I charged anywhere between 8-12 Euros/hour. This is how it all began! I earned enough money to travel to 9 different countries! I averaged a trip a month by giving private English Lessons!
My first trip was to ROME, ITALY where I went with two other girls who were from the U.S. and studying in Madrid. I think the round-trip airfare was around $45USD. That is what I really miss about Europe; the efficient, affordable, and hassle free airlines! Ryan Air & Easy Jet Airlines truly awesome!
My English lessons also allowed me to travel to:
Portugal: Where I traveled by train to a small fortress village, Sintra, Portugal
Morocco: Where I rode camels on the beach and ate the best Goat Cheese ever for breakfast EVERYDAY!
France: Where I gazed in awe at the pure beauty of everything from the Eiffel Tower to the fruit tarts :)
Switzerland: Where I went to The Top of Europe, Jungfrau of the ALPS, only to be stuck in blizzard. 
Italy: Where I spent a day in the Sistine Chapel, marveled at the "David" in Florence & wine tasted in Tuscany
Belgium: Where I hung out with the friendly locals at the pubs and got familiar with Belgium cuisine & culture
Netherlands: Where I saw the sights, visited coffee shops, tried on wooden clogs and ate lots of chocolate.
Germany: Where I spent a week one day trying to get through the Munich Intl. Airport.
Luxembourg:  Where I walked through the center of town and just took picture after picture of the beautiful architecture and gold detail everywhere!


That was a quick one sentence blurb about what I truly stands out to me. If you have any further questions about the countries I visited, or want to know more... Ask, I'll be happy to tell you :) 


As you can see, this experience abroad was incredible. I caught the TRAVEL BUG! All I wanted to do was to continue traveling, continue learning about different cultures and lifestyles. I found my passion, as soon as I was on that flight home I knew that my traveling days had just begun. Although I saw a lot, more than many people see in their entire lives; it also made me realize just how much more there is to see.

I came home with more than a passport full of stamps and ticket stubs. I came home so much stronger and mature. Living 1,000s of miles away from home really makes a girl grow up fast. I had traveled extensively ans safely by means of buses, trains, subways, planes and taxis. I took care of myself when I got sick, I managed my own finances and made my own decisions. I learned so much about myself, the person I want to be and most importantly how I want to live my life. I came home with a greater appreciation for family, friends and my country. Although I do love traveling, learning and participating in new cultures and lifestyles... I always love coming home to the United States of America. I feel that many people take for granted, or don't truly understand what it means to be American until they have left for a few weeks (a topic for another day, I'm sure)

Anyways, back on track...when I returned to home I continued for the next two years at California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) and it wasn't until this past May that I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. Within 6 weeks of graduation I had sold all of my apartment furniture, given away about 50% of my clothes and over 20 pairs of shoes, ultimately condensing my life to fit into 2 suitcases. I had a one-way ticket to Costa Rica and I was ready for the next adventure... Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment